To Use Xtract ODP #
Basic knowledge of Xtract for Alteryx is required to understand the following sections, see Extraction with Xtract Table - Use case.
- Drag & drop Xtract ODP the component to your Alteryx workflow.
- Select an SAP connection, navigate to Selected Extraction and click [Edit]. The main window of the component “Xtract ODP” opens. The majority of the functions of the component can be accessed using the main window. All settings that can be accessed using the main window are described in section Xtract ODP Functions Overview.
Technical Prerequisites #
There are a few prerequisites that need to be fulfilled on the SAP side, when using ODP. SAP released a number of SAP notes that apply when using Xtract ODP component:
- 1931427 - ODP Data Replication API 2.0
- 2232584 - Release of SAP extractors for ODP replication (ODP SAPI)
- 1560241 - Release of DataSources for ODP data replication API
About Xtract ODP #
The Xtract ODP component can be used to extract data via the SAP Operational Data Provisioning (ODP) framework.
ODP is a framework in SAP ABAP applications for transferring data between systems.
ODP provides a technical infrastructure for data extraction and replication from different SAP (ABAP) Systems e.g.:
- S/4 HANA
- BW/4 HANA
The Xtract ODP component, which requires the data, acts as a so-called subscriber (consumer). The ODP component subscribes to a data provider, for example to an SAP Extractor or to a CDS View.
Operational data provisioning supports mechanisms to load data incrementally, e.g., from extractors, ABAP CDS Views and aDSO objects (see below).
With SAP BW/4HANA, Operational Data Provisioning (ODP) becomes the central infrastructure for data extraction and replication from SAP (ABAP) applications to an SAP BW/4HANA Data Warehouse.
ODP provides data transfer from the following providers (also called Provider Context):
- ABAP Core Data Services (CDS) Views
- BW and BW/4HANA InfoProviders
- HANA Information Views in HANA based SAP Systems
- DataSources and Extractors
Note: Depending on the connected SAP source system there are differences in available provider context.
The following example depicts the available provider context with BW /4 HANA connected as SAP source system. A BW or ECC system contains less options in the provider context list.
SAP Source Objects and Suitable ODP Contexts #
|ODP context||SAP Source objects|
|ABAP Core Data Services [ABAP_CDS]||- CDS Views|
|SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse [BW]||BW/4HANA:
- DSO / aDSO
- Query as InfoProvider
- Semantically partitioned objects
|SAP HANA Information Views [HANA]||- Analysis Views
- Calculation Views
- Associated Attribute Views
|DataSources/Extractos [SAPI]||- DataSources and Extractors|
Suitable ODP contexts can be selected within the ODP Lookup window.
Xtract ODP - Functions Overview #
The window “Define Data Source for SAP ODP” contains several subsections:
- Operational Data Provider - displays the name of the source object
- Additional info - displays the ODP provider context and the data type of the source object
- Update mode - defines the update mode, full or delta update
- Fields - allows selection and setting of the filter options for extractors
- Preview - Section with a real-time preview of the extraction data
- [Show active subscriptions ] - Button to display details on subscriber process
- [Edit parameters] - Button to define run-time parameters that can be used as placeholders for data selections
- [Load Live Preview] - Button to display a real-time preview of the extraction data without executing the extraction