Technical Prerequisites #
There are a few prerequisites that need to be fulfilled on the SAP side, when using ODP. SAP released a number of SAP notes that apply when using Xtract ODP component:
- 1931427 - ODP Data Replication API 2.0
- 2232584 - Release of SAP extractors for ODP replication (ODP SAPI)
- 1560241 - Release of DataSources for ODP data replication API
About Xtract ODP #
The Xtract ODP component can be used to extract data via the SAP Operational Data Provisioning (ODP) framework.
ODP is a framework in SAP ABAP applications for transferring data between systems.
ODP provides a technical infrastructure for data extraction and replication from different SAP (ABAP) Systems e.g.:
- S/4 HANA
- BW/4 HANA
The Xtract ODP component, which requires the data, acts as a so-called subscriber (consumer). The ODP component subscribes to a data provider, for example to an SAP Extractor or to a CDS View.
Operational data provisioning supports mechanisms to load data incrementally, e.g., from extractors, ABAP CDS Views and aDSO objects (see below).
With SAP BW/4HANA, Operational Data Provisioning (ODP) becomes the central infrastructure for data extraction and replication from SAP (ABAP) applications to an SAP BW/4HANA Data Warehouse.
ODP provides data transfer from the following providers (also called Provider Context):
- ABAP Core Data Services (CDS) Views
- BW and BW/4HANA InfoProviders
- HANA Information Views in HANA based SAP Systems
- DataSources and Extractors
Note: Depending on the connected SAP source system there are differences in available provider context.
The following example depicts the available provider context with BW /4 HANA connected as SAP source system. A BW or ECC system contains less options in the provider context list.
SAP Source Objects and Suitable ODP Contexts #
|ODP context||SAP Source objects|
|ABAP Core Data Services [ABAP_CDS]||- CDS Views|
|SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse [BW]||BW/4HANA:
- DSO / aDSO
- Query as InfoProvider
- Semantically partitioned objects
|SAP HANA Information Views [HANA]||- Analysis Views
- Calculation Views
- Associated Attribute Views
|DataSources/Extractos [SAPI]||- DataSources and Extractors|
Suitable ODP contexts can be selected within the ODP Lookup window.
Xtract ODP - Functions Overview #
The window “Define Data Source for SAP ODP” contains several subsections:
- Operational Data Provider - displays the name of the source object
- Additional info - displays the ODP provider context and the data type of the source object
- Update mode - defines the update mode, full or delta update
- Fields - allows selection and setting of the filter options for extractors
- Preview - Section with a real-time preview of the extraction data
- [Show active subscriptions ] - Button to display details on subscriber process
- [Edit parameters] - Button to define run-time parameters that can be used as placeholders for data selections
- [Load Live Preview] - Button to display a real-time preview of the extraction data without executing the extraction