The following section describes the functions of the Xtract ODP component of Xtract IS for Azure.
The Xtract ODP component can be used to extract data via the SAP Operational Data Provisioning (ODP) framework.
About ODP #
ODP is a framework in SAP ABAP applications for transferring data between systems.
ODP provides a technical infrastructure for data extraction and replication from different SAP (ABAP) Systems e.g.:
- S/4 HANA
- BW/4 HANA
The Xtract ODP component, which requires the data, acts as a so-called subscriber (consumer). The ODP component subscribes to a data provider, for example to an SAP Extractor or to a CDS View.
Operational data provisioning supports mechanisms to load data incrementally, e.g., from extractors, ABAP CDS Views and aDSO objects (see below).
With SAP BW/4HANA, Operational Data Provisioning (ODP) becomes the central infrastructure for data extraction and replication from SAP (ABAP) applications to an SAP BW/4HANA Data Warehouse.
ODP provides data transfer from the following providers (also called Provider Context):
|ODP context||SAP Source objects|
|ABAP Core Data Services [ABAP_CDS]||- CDS Views|
|SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse [BW]||BW/4HANA:
- DSO / aDSO
- Query as InfoProvider
- Semantically partitioned objects
|SAP HANA Information Views [HANA]||- Analysis Views
- Calculation Views
- Associated Attribute Views
|DataSources/Extractors [SAPI]||- DataSources and Extractors|
Note: Depending on the connected SAP source system there are differences in available provider context.
Note: To find DataSources, they have to be activated in SAP, see Activating DataSources in the SAP OLTP System.
For more information on SAP ODP, see SAP Wiki: Operational Data Provisioning (ODP) and Delta Queue (ODQ).
Technical prerequisites #
There are a few prerequisites that need to be fulfilled on the SAP side, when using ODP. SAP released a number of SAP notes that apply when using Xtract ODP component:
- 1931427 - ODP Data Replication API 2.0
- 2232584 - Release of SAP extractors for ODP replication (ODP SAPI)
- 1560241 - Release of DataSources for ODP data replication API
- 2196500 - ODP Package size cannot be reduced below 50 MB
- 2191995 - ODQ Package Size cannot be reduced below 50 MByte
Tip: To get information on the basics, refer to Getting Started.
How to use the Xtract ODP component #
- A valid connection manager connected to a SAP system must be defined, see section Connection Manager.
- Drag the appropriate component from the toolbox and drop it to your data flow task.
- Double-click the [icon] of the component. The main window of the component opens.
The majority of the functions of the component can be accessed using the main window.
More information on working with the Xtract ODP component is provided in the following sections.