Installing an update (or a newer version) on a test environment #
To install a newer software version over an existing version, follow the steps below.
- A working test environment with a valid license and maintenance
- The test environment, which is a copy of the current production environment
- A regular update of the software, especially for major changes and high ([H]) priority update recommendation in the version history
- A backup of the current installation, see the corresponding section below
- Before updating, check the Version History and release notes in the knowledge base.
- Make any necessary preparations and changes as described in the Release Note / Version History, especially for major changes and high priority ([H]) update recommendation.
- You can subscribe via email to Theobald Software’s regular newsletter that informs about changes in the version history and release notes.
- At first, install the current version of the software on the test environment and test the new version carefully.
- Test all your existing projects.
- After a successful test, follow the steps to install the current version on the productive environment, see the corresponding section below.
- In case of an error, contact Theobald Software’s support team via email: email@example.com. You can reinstall / reuse your backup until a solution is provided.
Installing an update on a productive environment #
After sucessfull installation and test of the update version on the test environment, follow the corresponding steps described above for the production environment. Make sure to create a backup beforehand and make any necessary preparations and changes.
Do I need to deinstall the old version before updating? #
A newer version can be installed over the old version. It is not necessary to uninstall the previous version.
How do I create a backup? #
Just make a copy of the complete program directory or at least the config subdirectory (by default under C:\Program Files\BOARDConnector\config) of the machine running the BOARD Connector Server (or Service). The config directory contains all settings, extractions and connections. We recommend that you create a backup at regular intervals so that you can easily switch back to the previous version if necessary or problems occur. Also note the product version that you are currently using so that you can switch back to the same version in the case of problems.